Wednesday, October 16, 2013

What's Changed?

My cousin came to visit over the weekend and she asked me what's changed since I went raw. I drew a total blank. I couldn't think of much. Although, I think there have been more changes than I realize. If I went back to cooked foods tomorrow, I'm sure I would be reminded of a few things that I'm not having to deal with anymore.

One thing that's definitely different is that I am more fully present in my own life. This week is a perfect example of this. My husband is out of town, and I'm here by myself. In the past, the second he walked out the door, I was making a list of all the junk foods I was going to go buy. I'd fill my freezer with ice cream, and my cupboards with sugary cereal, and I would eat myself into a coma until he got home.

The last time he went out of town, I was just getting into the raw food lifestyle, so I spent that time immersing myself into this new way of doing things. I spent those days experimenting with different recipes, watching YouTube videos, and staying away from the grocery store to avoid temptations.

This week marks my first time being alone since then. I am not binging, I am not grazing, I am not freaking out in the middle of my kitchen. I'm just here. I'm between work projects, so I have the luxury of choosing how to spend each of these wonderful days that my husband is gone. I'm reading, writing, and catching up with old friends. I am so present, and so mindful of every decision that I make.

I feel so comfortable in my own skin. I feel so aware of the limitless options in front of my. I don't feel compulsive about anything I'm doing (well, that's a lie. I'm actually procrastinating working on my book, so I'm going to Facebook every five minutes to put it off).

So, if my cousin were to ask me again, "What's changed since you went raw 8 weeks ago?"

I'd say, "Everything."

No comments:

Post a Comment