Thursday, August 29, 2013

My New Super Power & A Little TMI

I am Super No
At 2:00 this morning, my husband announced that he would be going out of town this afternoon. For days. There were no previous plans for this, but he suddenly decided that his hottest business prospects were 10 hours away, so that's where he needed to be, too. 

What would you have done? Well, this is an old hat for me. We have left on many-a trips like this, with just a few hours between thinking about it and doing it. I just kind of go with the flow, and make it work. I drop what I'm doing, get the house ready, the dog ready, the car ready, my psyche ready, and off we drive into the sunset.

But this time, I said, "No."

We both blinked in astonishment. 

What did I just say? 

"No." That is a word that is not often found in my vocabulary. After all, I am the wife of a busy entrepreneur who has the attention span of a gnat. He's spontaneous, and I show my love by pretending to be. 

But this time, the word came easily to me. 

My husband wasn't really excited about leaving without me, and I wasn't too excited to see him leave, but I knew I'd made the right choice.

The Breakthrough

How it usually goes...
The breakthrough for me today was that when I was faced with having to make a quick, huge decision, I did not go into throes of anxiety or overwhelm. I did not waffle back and forth on what to do, or what I thought I SHOULD do. I immediately, intuitively, knew what the best answer was for me.

I recognized that staying would not be easy, but going would be harder, and made my final decision very quickly. This is huge for me, and the complete opposite of how this usually goes down. I really believe that my ability to make a quick decision, and to confidently stick to it, is a direct result of my raw diet. My mental clarity is amazing. 

I have also gone down a notch in my belt, my face is thinning out, I'm not waking up feeling hung over, and I have an enormous amount of energy.

I am a bit constipated (TMI?), but I think that's because my body is dumping faster than my bowel is able to...you know. I'm taking a lot of herbs in hopes of avoiding an enema (ok, now I know we're in the TMI camp), but we'll see. 

The Reason I Stayed

Warding off tempations.
There are many reasons for this, but the main reason I decided not to go is because my new lifestyle is
still in infancy. This has been a hard (albeit welcome) transition for me, and I know that I am not strong enough to hit the road and go couch surfing for the next week. In fact, I had to purge my house of simple tortilla chips and Rice Krispies because they were starting to look like filet mignon and ice cream. 

What would have happened to me if I'd gone to my brother's house and been surrounded by, offered, and encouraged to eat all those other foods?? One of two things would have happened. I would have either been absolutely miserable in my abstinence, or caved in. Either way, why make is so hard for myself?

I know that there will be times that I will need to go live in my life. But right now, I'm transitioning into a different way of living, and I really want to get my feet up under me before I start running marathons. I mean, traveling and being in other people's houses and lives carries enough stress as it is. Throw in the fact that I'd totally be swimming upstream with little support, and it would be a nightmare. 

A Temporary Hermit

So I opted to stay home, where my raw fare is within arms reach - and the non-raw fare is not. I made my very first batch of raw almond yogurt tonight, which is "brewing" at this very minute (23 more minutes, and that baby's going down the gullet). I watched a bunch of YouTube videos about other raw recipes while I sat on the couch and peeled the almonds in preparation.

I intend to spend the next few days really immersing myself into this. Then, I will be that much closer to being ready to hit the road for my SCHEDULED-IN-ADVANCE trip just a few short weeks away. Real life is just itching for me to hop back in. I know it's coming.  But for now, I'm content hemming myself in against "the rest of the world."

So, here's to a few precious days of eating raw, talking to myself, and doing nothing at the spur of the moment. 

Bliss.





No comments:

Post a Comment