Wednesday, September 4, 2013

6 Things To Combat Cravings

I know I've been talking a lot about temptations and challenges, but I want to also say that my moments of shock don't last that long, and it's comforting to know that they will pass. Here are some of the things that I've found really help me stick to my guns:

1) Education. I watch a lot of YouTube videos about this life style. One of my most favorite channels I've discovered during this process is Fully Raw Kristina. A couple nights ago, after finishing my last blog post, I found the following video of hers, which helped me enormously. Among other things, she said that the gut-wrenching cravings usually just last about 10 minutes, so it's just a matter of getting through that short window of time. She's been inspiring, educational, and a downright pleasure to watch.

2) Good Food. I try to keep foods around that I sincerely enjoy eating. The more I have, the less likely a craving will cripple me. If things get REALLY tough, I'll go to a raw food restaurant. This is a sure way to put me in a state of bliss, and always gives me new food ideas.

3) Finding New Recipes. Looking up raw food recipes on Pinterest and the Internet helps me realize that there is a world of possibilities that I just haven't explored yet. This gets me excited about trying these new foods, and really helps to scratch my creativity. You can find links to my Pinterest boards for these different raw recipes over on the right side of this blog. These recipes really encourage me, because I'm often surprised by how easy and delicious they are.

4) Vision Board. I haven't done this yet, but a friend suggested I create a vision board. This would give me something to look at when things feel rough, and remind me of all the reasons I'm doing this. I'm going to do this for sure, because when my cravings are really bad, I am so stuck in my own brain that I totally forget why I'm doing this. I just feel trapped, like I have to do this, and forget that I'm making a choice for very specific - and very important - reasons.

5) Herbal Teas. I've already mentioned this, but I like to have a cup of herbal tea when I'm feeling overwhelmed. It's something that I enjoy so much, and it really helps me relax and feel more in control of my situation. If I'm starting to freak out over what I'm going to eat (or what I can't eat), I'll have a cup of tea while I make a plan. It instantly changes my state.

6) Journaling. Writing in my journal has always been an effective way for me to process what I'm going through, cravings or otherwise. It's just a natural way for me to unravel the things that overwhelm me so that I can look at the parts of my situation. That always changes my perspective, and helps me be more in tune to what is, instead of what things seem like.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure I'll think of more. Feel free to add to this list by commenting below.

No comments:

Post a Comment