Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Revenge of the Ice Cream

I picked up a pint of chocolate coconut the ice cream Saturday night after looking over the ingredients. The main ingredients were coconut milk, agave syrup and cocoa powder. There were also emulsifiers, like carob bean gum and guar gum. I figured it would be ok. I rationalized. I indulged. I even thought I was being cute by posting a picture of it's empty carton on my "Confessions" post.

Well, now it's time for the rest of the story.

Within the hour, I realized that my right forearm had broken out into a rash. I looked at my left arm, and I literally watched it go from clear to spotted, right before my very eyes. I couldn't believe what I was seeing!

The next morning, I ran my hand across my forehead and realized that it was covered in small bumps. I rushed to the bathroom and saw that the rash had crept across my face and chest. Within 24 hours of that, the dots had bled across my entire body. Here I am, 72 hours after the fact, and I am covered head to toe. My lips haven't even been spared. Even my FINGERTIPS have been kissed by the ice cream's revenge!

Why I'm THRILLED About This

I am actually so excited about this. This means that the environment in my body has dramatically changed over these last five weeks on the raw diet. My body is in absolute riot mode after eating that ice cream. The excessive chocolate in particular probably caused my liver to freak out, and so now my body is detoxing through my skin.

A month ago, my body would have seen that dessert as a bug on its windshield. But today, it's taking a stand against toxins!

So yes - I have no hard feelings about the war that has been waged against me. I have learned that something is indeed going on inside of my body, and I'm relieved. There is so little evidence to me that anything is actually happening - that changes are actually being made. I don't really know what to measure my success by without getting my blood drawn. But every now and then, there are those a-ha! moments when I realize that things are changing. And those little moments are enough to keep me hanging on for the big payout at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment