Sunday, September 22, 2013

How Do I Feel About Eating Animals?

I'm primarily making this change to raw foods for health reasons, and not because of my stance on the ethical treatment of animals. Right now, I'm still craving meat and looking forward to the end of this 6-month experiment so I can enjoy some sesame chicken.

However, I'm also fully expecting this to change. I was vegan for about 18 months 10 years ago, and it was a similar situation in which I'd made the change primarily for health reasons. But the longer that I went without eating animal products, the more uncomfortable I became at the thought of it. I started to think about how unnatural it is to have these animals mass-produced as food products, and I the thought of eating flesh started to gross me out. This was before Food, Inc. and all those other lovely documentaries came out to give us all the guilt trips of our lives, too.

But then, we started to move away from the vegan life style, and we gradually started to make more and more exceptions with the animal products. Until a month ago, I was back to being a full-on carnivore. I can still psych myself out when I think about what I'm eating, but it takes work.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that my mindset tends to eventually come into line with my lifestyle, whatever that happens to be. So even though I currently have a foot stuck in both worlds, don't be surprised when I start posting snippets from Food, Inc. and start protesting against the local butcher.

No comments:

Post a Comment